It’s important to understand that CBD oil for animals isn’t regulated yet, which means that there are plenty of low-quality products out there. Worse, some are scams that could merely be a waste of time, but they could also be potentially dangerous to your pet. When looking for a top-quality product, you should always pay attention to:
Even though it’s essential to start with a lower potency and gradually increase the dose until you see the desired effects, higher potency products have a more substantial impact, and less product is needed to get results.
The majority of CBD products should have THC potency less than the legal 0.3%—and for pet products, this is absolutely mandatory. Choose pure CBD for dogs that’s an isolate to avoid any THC content or a full- or broad-spectrum product. This way, you only get isolated CBD rather than the full range of cannabinoids and terpenes that prove to be most beneficial together.
Taste and Smell
Tinctures and oils are administered orally to the dog, which is harder said than done. If your dog isn’t used to you messing with its mouth, this could be an issue. Some products have added flavors to make administering them easier. On the other hand, not all pet owners handle the added scents they come with very well and prefer flavorless oils. With that said, our list includes the several flavored and flavorless options that our pups most enjoyed.
Processing and Extraction
Processing is also crucial. The safest methods of extraction are cold press and carbon dioxide. Avoid companies that use cheap extraction methods, specifically those that use toxic solvents like hexane, propane, or butane.
The best-rated CBD oil for dogs will come from a company that focuses on transparency. Companies that follow these practices have all of their products third-party tested and present the test results or certificates of analysis for review before you purchase the product. The test results should have essential factors listed, including mycotoxins, pesticides, microbiology, heavy metals, and residual solvents. It should also have the THC percentage and CBD potency.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs
It’s been confirmed that CBD oil is safe and suitable for pets because they have the same endocannabinoid system as humans. This system allows the cannabinoids in CBD oils to alleviate a number of symptoms and complaints. Even though there is still little research done on the effects of CBD specifically on animals, there has been plenty of proof already by happy pet owners. CBD oil can alleviate the symptoms of many conditions, both temporary or chronic, including:
- anxiety—trembling, whimpering, hiding, pacing, or panting, trouble sleeping, bouts of aggression
- autoimmune disease—lupus, diabetes, arthritis (including abdominal pain, excessive panting, kidney failure, weight loss, fever, and muscle weakness the diseases cause)
- cancer—including chronic injuries, swelling in the bones, abnormal bleeding, wounds that won’t heal, and bumps and lumps in the body that cancer may cause
- chronic inflammation—including chronic pain, swelling, stiffness of the joints, and redness of the skin
- epilepsy—including epileptic seizures that may cause loss of consciousness, tongue chewing, jerking, twitching, frothing at the mouth, muscle spasms, and collapsing
- inflammatory bowel disease (IBS)—frequent flatulence, bloody stool, weight loss, fatigue, abdominal pain, and diarrhea
- regular pain
Although CBD is safe for dogs, experts and vets urge pet owners to be cautious when giving them CBD. We encourage you always to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and your vet’s recommendation.